Instructions to root the original Evo 4G
Updated instructions for HBOOT 2.17+
I may occasionally update this with more essential apps:
- Android Wifi Tether - Sprint will try to charge you to use the 4G hotspot found via settings; this will turn your phone into a hotspot for free.
- BusyBox - JRummy16’s BusyBox Installer includes essential unix apps like cp, grep. I chose 1.19 and /system/bin. You can uninstall this installer after running it and busybox will stay. This version is better than Stericson’s because it symlinks some additional things (like which) that Stericson’s doesn’t.
- ASTRO - GUI file browser
- ConnectBot - Extra ssh client features when rooted
- Titanium Backup - Backup and delete stock apps
- Terminal Emulator - Jack Palevich’s “Android Terminal Emulator” works best with the Evo’s touch screen.