This weekend I attended Blog Indiana at IUPUI. I think a good time was had by all. It was the first year they held it. Here are some of my take-aways from the conference, look to see corresponding changes coming soon!
- Legal: All blogs should have a disclaimer message stating that it is opinion. If you’re called out on something, just post a retraction the next day. Depending on the state, retractions can protect you from defamation suits and what not. On that topic, someone claiming defamation must be able to prove it’s a “mean” lie, and public figures must go a step further and prove it was “malice.” If a figure has ever had press coverage in any way, they can be considered public.
- Fair Use: If you transform someone’s work, that can be considered fair use.
- Advertising: Use your own ad tracking software, separate from what an ad network offers you. Try and transition away from ad networks ASAP, the real money is made in direct advertising.
- Marketing: Get it all over the place. Social networks (groups and pages), your email signature, mailing lists. Send out press releases to TV stations in addition to newspapers. Do guest posts on others blogs.
- A lot of bloggers use Macs.
For further blogging and search engine optimization tips, hire me. I’m available!